Of course, we can all use the best Instagram filters to make us appear happy on social media. But that doesn’t mean that we are authentically happy.
Whenever a person experiences hurt or have a natural predisposition for sadness, it could be easy for them to stay stuck in their negative experiences and struggle with finding the happiness in their life that they deserve.
These 10 tips should help you to live the happiest life you can, irrespective of whatever negative thoughts are currently holding you back:
- Surround yourself around positive people. Studies show that your environment plays a huge role on how you will experience life. People who are trying to lose weight will need to hang around people who are cautious of what they eat. People who are trying to break an addiction, do not need to hang with people who struggle. And people who want to experience happiness need to hang around people who also value happiness.
- Do not compromise on your values. It is important for us to be in alignment in order to experience authentic happiness. Anytime you go against something that you believe to be true, you will suffer. You have to behave in ways that are consistent with your values to feel authentically happy.
- Focus on the things in life that are working. Look at your life and take stock of what’s working, and don’t push away something just because it isn’t perfect. When good things happen, even the very little ones, let them in… Embrace them… and invite more positivity into your life.
- Visualize positive things happening to you. Don’t be afraid to look at what you really want and see yourself getting it. Many people avoid this process because they don’t want to be disappointed if things don’t work out. The truth is that imagining getting what you want is a big part of achieving it.
- Identify your hobbies and do them. Maybe you can’t skydive every day or take vacations every season, but as long as you get to do the things you love every once in a while, you will find greater happiness in your life. And if you’re busy (like most of us are) you have to be intentional about setting time aside, to do the things that are most important.
- Find purpose. The 2 the most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day that you figure out why. If you don’t know your purpose, now is the time to figure it out. It is imperative that you spend the time with yourself that you need to figure this out. If you do know what your purpose is, be intentional about focusing on the things that are preventing you from living it. And once it is discovered, put everything you have into trying to live your life in your purpose, and it’s fullest potential.
- Listen to your intuition. Most of us were taught that we only have five senses. But that sixth sense, also known as intuition, is as powerful, if not more so than the ones that we generally refer to. Our intuition is there to help us make healthy choices and listening to it will always guide us in the right direction.
- Focus on yourself, not others. Simply put, you cannot control what other people do. If someone doesn’t want to please you, you can’t make them. Furthermore, it’s detrimental to expect other people to meet your needs. The quicker you learn how to make your own self happy, the more authentically you will experience your own joy. After all, you came into this world by yourself and you will go out of this world by yourself. And everything that you choose to do in between is entirely up to you so you should make the best of it.
- Be open to change. There’s a saying that goes,”The only thing that stays the same is change.” The quicker you are to adapt to change, the better off you will be in the long run. Adapting to change is so important because there may be things that you need to do in your life that you are not doing. If you are not doing the things that you need to do, you cannot change the things you need to change, causing you to continue to experience the same level of unhappiness that has consistently held you back.
- Enjoy the simple things in life. It could be listening to the birds chirp during the morning walk or looking at your kids playing in the living room. By focusing on smaller things that bring you joy, you will expand your ability to be able to attract more things that you like.
Everyone deserves to live a happy life, no matter what mistakes or experiences that you have had which suggest otherwise. If finding happiness is something that you struggle with, our clinicians are here to help. Please schedule your free, 15 minute consultation, and let’s get started with living the life that you deserve.